There are 107 personnel working on the seven fires that comprise the Dalton Highway Complex. The complex is being managed operationally with a north zone and south zone. One additional fire, the MM 125 Fire (#441), was added to the complex. For the south zone, personnel will be gathering intelligence on the fires prior to going into the community of Rampart. Firefighters will work to assess values at risk and evaluate previous fire management activity that may be useful in current mitigation efforts.
Dalton Highway Complex Fires – Total acreage 69,731 acres:
- Curky Fire (#318) – 30,388 acres, located 4.5 miles west of MP 85.
- Douglas Fire (#336) – 18,844 acres, located along the highway between MP 140-149.
- Fish Fire (#319) – 231 acres, located next to highway at MP 115.
- Huron Fire (#372) – 14,003 acres; located 12 miles east of MP 359 and 19 miles northeast of Rampart.
- MM 125 Fire (#441) – 104 acres, located at MP 125, east of highway.
- Snowden Fire (#330) – 65 acres, located east of MP 336.
- Troublesome Fire (#359) – 6,096 acres, 12 miles east of Rampart.
Fire Weather (Warnings/Watches): A Red Flag Warning is in effect for abundant lightning and extremely dry fuels through Tuesday. Scattered thunderstorms are expected this afternoon with frequent lightning, hail, and gusty winds. Lightning counts are expected to reach 5,000 to 10,000 strikes today with activity going through the night. Relative humidity levels will be 25-40%, and temperatures will range from 79 to 89 degrees today. Scattered thunderstorms are forecast the next couple days.
Closures: Arctic Circle Campground remains closed due to area firefighting activity. The Arctic Circle Wayside (sign location) is open.
Public Safety: Use extreme caution while driving on the Dalton Highway. Heavy smoke is on the highway, drive with your lights on. Pulling off on the narrow highway shoulders is not advised, as it is a danger to both firefighters and drivers on the highway.
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Categories: AK Fire Info