Multiple new fires reported the last two days across Alaska

Wildland fire round up for Tuesday, June 16

8:00 p.m. — There were 10 new fires reported in Alaska on Monday.

Alaska State Troopers were alerted to an acre of land burning in the area of Card Street, Feuding Lane and Aspen Avenue in Sterling. Kenai forestry was dispatched to the rapidly growing Card Street Fire along with local fire departments. Firefighters worked on structure protection with support from helicopters and retardant tanker planes.

Evacuations took place at Feuding Lane, Card Street and in the Kenai Keyes subdivision. The fire spotted across the Kenai River, causing the areas of Dow Island and Salmon Run to also be evacuated. Fire personnel positioned themselves along Funny River Road to deal with spot fires.

Smokejumpers worked critical spots, protecting structures along the Kenai River utilizing a boat. A park ranger also patrolled the river watching for spot fires and assisting with structure protection.

A retardant line was laid down as close as possible to the Kenai River. Feuding Lane was bisected by retardant.

A wind shift while firefighters were battling the blaze proved to be a huge assist to structure protection as the fire was pushed east into wetlands.

Personnel worked through the night on the west flank, laying hose at the tail of the fire and along the north end. Engines patrolled throughout the night to knock down any hot spots.

Homer forestry and the Anchor Point Volunteer Fire Department responded to a 30-foot-by-30-foot fire in the grass in Anchor Point. A transformer that arced, striking the ground, started the Old Sterling Fire. Technicians with Homer Electric Association responded to assist. Fire personnel extinguished the fire and placed it into monitor status.

Mat-Su forestry was called to a report of trees on fire behind the Harley Davidson shop in Wasilla. Forestry, along with the Central Fire Department, responded and discovered a tree on a power line smoking with a 50-foot-by-50-foot grass fire moving up a hill. Fire personnel suppressed the grass fire while waiting for Matanuska Electric Association to deactivate the power. The Hyer Fire was contained, controlled and placed in monitor status.

A structure fire in Wasilla spread into the wildlands. Several engines from Mat-Su forestry responded to a .2 of an acre fire burning in grass and mixed hardwoods. The Snow Goose Fire was contained, controlled and placed in monitor status.

A call out for an escaped burn pile turned into a two-for-one fire for Mat-Su forestry firefighters. The first was approximately .1 of an acre in size, burning in grass and spruce. Once that was extinguished a second human-caused fire was reported at the same location. A grass fire spread to a single tree. Firefighters put out the fire and had to take down the tree. Because both fires were on a single residential property they were combined into the Sunrise Fire.

Fourteen smokejumpers were dropped on a 40-acre fire running, torching and spotting in black spruce and tussock tundra about 20 miles northwest of Fort Yukon. Supported by a helicopter with a bucket they began suppression efforts on the Back Yukon Slough Fire. A passing aircraft reported the fire burning.

Chena-Goldstream Volunteer Fire and Rescue requested Fairbanks forestry to respond to a 10-foot-by-10-foot unattended burn pile off Chena Pump Road. The Crown Fire was put out and placed into monitor status.

Passing aircraft spotted a .5-acre fire smoldering and creeping in white spruce and brush just outside Huslia. Four smokejumpers were deployed and began working on the Racetrack Fire.

Two fires were reported on military training grounds. A helicopter with a bucket made water drops on the 1-acre Salcha Fire. Because of the proximity to an impact area and the danger of unexploded ordinance, only aerial suppression efforts were used. The military also responded with a Blackhawk helicopter for bucket work. Military personnel training in the area extinguished the second fire. The Moose Creek Fire was checked by firefighters and placed into monitor status.

There were eight new fire starts reported on Sunday. The Tanana Slough Fire northwest of Dot Lake and the Sockeye Fire north of Willow have grown into substantial fires requiring extended staffing.

Two fires were reported burning near Birch Creek by residents in Central. The Birch Creek Fire was not located by reconnaissance aircraft but four smokejumpers were dropped on the Birch Creek 2 Fire. It was 80-90% active creeping and backing in mixed black spruce and tussock tundra. The jumpers did point protection on structures within the 75-acre fire area.

A Mat-Su forestry engine responded to a .1-acre smoldering, abandoned campfire. Firefighters took action on the fire, containing, controlling and calling the Maud Road Fire out.

Firefighters worked on the Rhoads Creek Fire southwest of Delta Junction through the night Sunday to secure the perimeter of the 2-acre fire. The Fairbanks #2 Type 2 EFF Crew was deployed Monday to secure the fire.

Fairbanks forestry, air attack and helitack responded to a .25-acre fire just off the Parks Highway around milepost 336. Retardant was dropped on the fire and firefighters working with the helicopter and bucket knocked it down and continued suppression operations into the night. The Fairbanks #2 Crew was deployed Monday and had the fire cleaned up by the end of their operational shift. The Ohio Creek Fire has been declared out.

Fairbanks forestry responded to a report of smoke in the area of Bonanza Creek. Helitack and one engine located an unattended campfire and extinguished it.


Categories: Active Wildland Fire, AK Fire Info

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: