McHugh Fire Special Release

Seward Highway Update: The 35mph speed limit continues through the affected fire area but has been shortened to mile 110 to 112 (McHugh Creek to Beluga Point), pull offs outside that area are now open. Falling rocks and debris are causing intermittent road closures of the Seward Highway due to heavy rain over the burn affected area.  For updated highway information call 511 the State of Alaska Department of Transportation Traveler Information line.

Burn Ban Update: Anchorage Fire Department has lifted its Burn ban due to sufficient rain fall. For more information and requirements go to http://afd.muni.org, or call 267-5020.

Containment/Confinement Clarification: 100% containment of the McHugh Fire is based on 35% of the fire perimeter having constructed fireline by fire personnel and aerial resources. The other 65% of the fires perimeter is based on natural barriers that are unsafe or inaccessible by firefighters, such as scree slopes and rock outcrops with little or no burnable vegetation.

IMG_Dot_rock

DOT employee removing rock from Seward Highway

IMG_See_Press

Anchorage Fire Department, Public Information Officer and Forester John See, announcing the lifting of the Burn Ban

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: